A personal dialogue with
Mr. Chen Kai-Ling
Taoyuan Metro Corporation,
- Could you tell us your experience working in the field of public transport? How many years of total experience you had in the field? Your current job and some previous job background?
[Mr. Chen] I have over 15 years’ experience in the field of public affairs that includes over 4 years’ experience in the field of public transport. Now, I am the President of the Taoyuan Metro Corporation in Taiwan. We are responsible for preparing the operation of the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System that under construction currently, and will be operating it in the near future. Prior to this, I have worked in different ministries in the central government and the local government, including Executive Yuan Senior Executive Officer, Kaohsiung City Government Senior Executive Officer, Kaohsiung County Government Information Bureau Director, Kaohsiung City Government Advisor, Construction Bureau Acting Director, Environmental Protection Bureau Acting Director, Mass Rapid Transit Bureau Director, Deputy Secretary General, Morakot Post-Disaster Reconstruction Council Chief Executive Officer, and etc.
- What makes you believe in public transport? What role you see in “Public Transport” and its link to the society, to environment, and to the economy? From a city/country point of view, what is the most critical factor that helps/refrains the development of public transport?
[Mr. Chen] Great citizens make a great city, and public transport is the engine for the good development of a great city. Through complete public transport network, the citizens’ activities of daily livings could be linked together efficiently, the society, environment, and economy could be well-balanced, and life will be better. Taoyuan-New Taipei-Taipei Cities are the biggest complex cities in Taiwan, be the main public transport network, Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System will be the key to make citizens’ life better. And, to keep push public transport development, the most critical factor is the will of the people and the government.
- UITP practices the belief of “Grow with Public Transport”. How does it relate to your current role? How relevant is that to the business strategy of your organization?
[Mr. Chen] At the plan stage of the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System, the concept of TOD (Transit Oriented Development) had been adopted. So, every station has its owned urban plan, the concept is similar as UITP’s belief of “Grow with Public Transport.” Predictably, with the operation of the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System and the development of the stations’ surrounding urban plan, Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System will be the main public transport network in Taoyuan-New Taipei-Taipei Cities in Taiwan. Absolutely, my duty is operate the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System well, let it make environment green, economy development, and improve public welfare. And, because of that, Taoyuan Metro Corporation will achieve sustainable development.
- During your many years of work in the field of public transport, what had been the biggest challenge and how did you overcome it? What are the learning other organizations can learn to make the development of public transport better?
[Mr. Chen] Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System is constructed by the central government, and then, managed by the Taoyuan City Government and operated by the Taoyuan Metro Corporation. Now, although the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System is still under construction, but the preparation for the future operation is also ongoing at the same time. For the operation of the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System smoothly, the cooperation among the central government, the local government, and the Taoyuan Metro Corporation is very important. We found the special committee as a platform with the central government and the local government to manage the construction’s scheduled progress, fix the every kind of issues, and integrate the government’s resources for completing the related supporting measures of public transport.
- UITP is an association connecting all in the sector – authority, operator, industry supplier, academic and institute. How do you use UITP to help grow your idea and ambition in the development of public transport?
[Mr. Chen] We are the one young company that established in 2010 in the field of public transport. And, consider the In-Town-Check-In Service that the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System has is the pioneer in Taiwan’s MRT system, the practical experience and the professional knowledge of the related international organizations in the field of public transport will be helpful for us to grow up rapidly. Therefore, to prepare the operation of the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Access MRT System well, we will communicate with the related international organizations in the field of public transport through UITP’s connection positively.
- What would be the one phrase you give as a piece of advice to those young talents who want to devote their energy in the public transport sector?
[Mr. Chen] “Work smart, and think far ahead.”
Learn more about Taoyuan Metro Corporation, visit their website www.tymetro.com.tw